Monday, October 13, 2014

Happy Monday!! It is a very dreary day as it is overcast, and rainy!! A day to be cuddled under the blankets, watching TV wearing comfy clothes!! I unfortunately am not able to that as I am working. I am bummed at the thought of sitting relaxed on the sofa, watching Season 3 of Hart of Dixie, wearing comfy sweatpants and a hoodie! Instead I just finished up seeing a client, and am waiting for another meeting. I will soon be able to call it a day, and be reunited with my Lil Ladies after school! That is when the crazy time will start, and I will still be wishing for a lazy day of relaxation!

Alyssa has an appointment with ENT afterschool. This is a new ENT at the practice where she sees her audiologist. She was recommended by the audiologist, so we will see what happens. Alyssa had ear tubes place in December 2013, and one of the tubes fell out. I let it go thinking she would be okay, but I am not sure of this. Alyssa seems to be hearing okay, but I have had a few people express concern. Alyssa says the word "Huh" a lot after we tell her something. She acts like she doesn't hear us, or is confused on what we are saying. It is almost like a delayed reaction, or what we are saying is muffled for her. I figured I would address this with an ENT, an ENT that is covered by both of her insurances, as well as local. We will see what happens. I will keep you all updated.

Sierra has dance class tonight! In 4 days she will having surgery on her knee! More on that as the days become closer to Friday!!

Micaela has a 4H meeting tonight, her dad will be taking her! I hope she remembers to fill me in on what they discuss!

Today was picture day for Lil Ladies, and I checked in with Alyssa's teacher. She didn't smile, go figure! Mugshot #2 for her!! At least she looked pretty! I didn't purchase pictures of the older girls as they had to wear uniform, I just purchased Spring pictures, and Holiday pictures are next month!

I did want to share about my recent medical changes. I know I mentioned in one of my posts last week that I would be mentioning a medical update about me. I am not ready to share, and have taken the time to write it all out for you. I did write this up to share on a closed facebook group as the group is related to my medical condition. I needed an outlet, and a place where others with this can help me to understand everything better, and to meet others with the same condition. This is what I wrote to the group:

>>>Hello! I am new to this group, and new to "this". My name is Brigitte, 35, mama of 4 girls, married, and live in Maryland. I never had back pain >>>growing up. In March 2011 I was in a car accident where I began to start having back issues, received PT for a few weeks, and life went on. I had my >>>youngest daughter in April 2012, and after her birth the pain became more noticeable and consistent. In August 2012 I had my Ensure procedure to not >>>have anymore children. At this point the pain would come and go more frequently. In July 2014 the pain became constant, and finally after some pleading >>>with my Primary I went to see an Orthopedic. He ordered an MRI of my back, and an Xray of my back. He also ordered an EMG as I have been having "carpal >>>tunnel" like symptoms. I had all these tests done in September, and had a follow up with Orthopedic last week. These are the results:

Xray-
1. Moderate reduction in the intervertebral disc space at L5/S1 level. Spinal bifida occult is also seen at L5/S1.
Everything else looked good/okay.

MRI-
1. 7mm of anterolisthesis of L5 on S1 secondary to bilateral L5 spondylolsis. The conus is normal in appearance and terminates at L1. Veteran body marrow signal is normal.
2. L1-2, L2-3, L3-4 all normal
3. L4-5 tiny angular disc bulge with disc desiccation. Mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.
4. L5-S1 disc desiccation with grade 1 anterolisthesis resulting in a psuedodisk bulge. There is a facet arthosis. Mild bilateral neural formanial stenosis. Spinal canal is patent.
5. 10mm Tarlov cyst incidentally noted at S2.

My Ortho didn't tell me any of this, except he can see why I have pain in my lower back/hip and wants me to try PT for 6 weeks, and come back to see him before Thanksgiving. He put me on 3 "pain meds".
What does all this mean?? I was concerned I didn't trust the Ortho so I asked for a copy of the results including the MRI/Xray itself.

After talking to others with Tarlov Cysts and Spinda Bifida Occulta and doing a lot of personal research I have decided to hold off on Physical Therapy as it can make things much worse for me, and see what I can tolerate. I hope with the pain medications, it will help me. If it becomes too much, I will call the therapist and make an appointment to be evaluated. At the suggestion of the facebook group, I did contact a doctor in Maryland to see if can review my results and give me a consultation. He is out of the office until October 21. I hope I will hear from his office soon after that. Fingers crossed. If any of you reading this post know anyone who has these two medical issues please send them my way, or if you come across any information. The more educated I am, the better I will be. This new medical news on top of my already known medical issues makes things quite complex :(

I am NOT going to let this get me down!

Now to get back to my job and finish the day before getting my Lil Ladies!

No comments: