Thursday, October 16, 2014

New Stories close to my heart

Before I go to bed tonight, I wanted to write a blog about a few News stories that I heard recently that touched my heart, and made me open my eyes in a few new directions. I admit that I am not a regular who reads the Newspaper, or a magazine. In fact I do not even read the news online much. If it wasn't for Facebook, or my husband I wouldn't know what goes on around the world or locally. I always just get caught up in the moment with my life, and forget to read the current events, gossip, natural disasters, or whatever is going on outside of my bubble.

Early last week I saw an article surfacing my Newsfeed on Facebook, and it caught my attention. I read the article, and then I searched Google for more articles, and information. The story that caught my attention was Brittany Maynard, Expanding the Death-with-Dignityoption. I never really considered an opinion on "assisted suicide" or gave it much thought in recent years until Brittany's story came to my attention. First, I think Brittany's story is heroic, and beautiful. It took a lot of strength, and courage for her to come forward with her story, as well as her campaign to want to make a change. Brittany is a beautiful young woman who made headlines, and will continue to turn heads for a long time. She shared her story well, and I know many listened, and gained knowledge about her choice, death-with-dignity. She created a campaign with Compassion and Choices, and wants to help make laws legal in as many states as possible who support death-with-dignity. I will be watching this story until the end, and hope to see some amazing things arise. Brittany Maynard will leave behind a legacy, and her name will be remembered for her beautiful stance. She opened my eyes to new directions and I am thankful for that! To know when you want to leave this Earth before time is up, and being able to plan it as well. To leave this world with peace of mind, and knowing you can avoid any pain and suffering, in addition to when you want to leave is a nice option. I hope to hear more news stories about Brittany before November 1, and that she will be a wonderful advocate for Compassion and Choices, and be able to work with the legislation to help make Death with Dignity legal in more states across the United States.

Last week after I learned of the passing of the first Ebola patient to die in the USA, Thomas Eric Duncan on Facebook. I was sad to hear that he passed away from such a dangerous and deadly disease. It happened so fast, and the news spread like wildfire on the TV, Internet, and Social Media sites. It took me a few days to read all of the articles, and to understand exactly what happened, and what Ebola is, and what it can do to humans. I was concerned about the patients, nurses, doctors, and others who were involved in the care of Thomas Eric Duncan, and what would happen to them if they tested positive for Ebola. I guess my concern became a reality because in the past 2 days, I read that 2 USA citizens tested positive for Ebola. These two nurses helped to treat Mr. Duncan. Nina Pham is one of the nurses who contracted Ebola in Texas. She is being transferred to a hospital in the same state I live, Maryland. She will be treated by one of the top doctors, in one of the top hospitals equipped to care for patients with Ebola. This is VERY scary for ME as it is close to home, a few hours from my house! I am compassionate in knowing that Ms. Pham will be receiving great care, and hope that she can beat Ebola, but it also raises severe alert in my eyes. I do not want to feel like I have to walk on egg shells as Ebola is in my state. I feel nervous that the CDC and medical people are wanting to "spread" Ebola to other parts of the USA and not trying to keep it in the Dallas, Texas area. Not only is an Ebola patient coming to Maryland, but they are also sending another patient, Amber Vinson to Emory Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia. (Please know these are my thoughts and opinions on what I have read.) I have been following her story as well, and am shocked to know that she boarded a plane and traveled to Ohio! WOW! I am surprised she was allowed to go anywhere after "being involved" with Mr. Duncan and all of the protocols that had to be followed with the CDC, etc! I hope that she will be okay too, and I will be following her story as well! Amber & Nina will be in my prayers. I hope no one else becomes positive for Ebola, and we can squash this!

(I had to finish this post today as I became tired last night, and was unable to finish my thoughts.)

No comments: